The Firs Camps & Retreats
If your skills and talents include a commitment to Christ and you are passionate about investing in people’s lives, The Firs may have a position for you!
Seasonal & Year-Round Employment
Summer is not the only time to work at The Firs. We have year-round facilities with a number of positions available during the school year. The Firs is an equal opportunity employer.
Questions About Employment?
- The Firs serves the local church and community by drawing groups and individuals to a camp and retreat setting. The Firs exists for people to encounter Jesus and experience the love of God – this is our core mission.
- From its beginning, The Firs has focused on developing and maintaining a ministry to God’s glory. The Firs emphasis has been to help people believe. This is done through instruction, creative activities and significant relationships.
- The Firs’ three facilities serve to support these efforts and provide a place for organizations and other ministries of similar purpose to offer programs of their own.
We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. (Matt. 28:19; 2 Cor. 13:14)
We believe in the deity of Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death, in His bodily resurrection and His ascension to the right hand of the Father. We believe in His personal, visible return to earth in righteousness and glory to consummate His salvation and His judgment. (Jn. 1:1-2; Rom. 3:21-26; 1 Thess. 4:13-18)
We believe that, because of the fall of humanity with the resulting sinful state and subsequent separation from God, there is the necessity of new birth, in salvation by faith in Jesus Christ alone. (Rom. 3:23; 6:23; Eph. 2:8-10; John 1:12)
We believe that God has called Christians to a life of sanctification through the Holy Spirit and to a life fully committed to the will of God in Christ. (1 Pet. 1:14-16; Titus 2:11-14)
We believe in the Christian church as the one universal body of Christ. Christ is the head of His church and calls God’s redeemed people to be set apart for His purposes in the world. (Eph. 1:22-23; 5:25-30; I Peter 1:9-10)
We believe in the institution of marriage defined in Scripture as the covenantal union between one man and one woman. We believe that the Christian standard is faithfulness within that marriage covenant and abstinence outside of it. (Gen. 2:24; Matt. 19:5-6; Eph. 5:31-33)
We believe that every person is created in the image of God, that human sexuality reflects that image in terms of intimate love, communication and fellowship. We believe that God created humankind as two distinct sexes, male and female. (Gen. 1:27; Matt. 19:4-6; Mk. 10:6-8)
Camps & Programs Positions
The Retreat Center
- Dining Room servers & dishwashers (minimum age: 14)
- Cooking staff (minimum age: 18) & kitchen prep (minimum age: 16)
Summer Lifeguarding Positions: Applications accepted beginning January 1 (until positions fill).
Lifeguards: More Information
The Firs Retreat Center operates a waterfront on Lake Whatcom, serving Retreat Center guests (adults, families, youth, and children) and the Fircreek Day Camp (children in grades 1-6), with swimming and boating activities.
Lifeguards supervise and oversee the operation of the waterfront and are responsible for safety and providing a great guest and camper experience. Lifeguards must be certified and current, enjoy serving adults, youth and children, and see their work on the waterfront as contributing in a meaningful way to the ministry of The Firs Retreat Center and Fircreek Day Camp.
The waterfront operates daily, including most Saturdays and some Sundays, throughout the summer. Lifeguards need to be available from June 23 to September 1, including some weekends from mid-May to the end of September.
Full-time and part-time positions are available and are paid $12 per hour.
Please contact Kirk Potter at firstname.lastname@example.org, if you have any questions.
Download The Firs Employment Application and return to:
Director of Conference & Community Ministries
4605 Cable Street
Bellingham, WA 98229
Fircreek Day Camp
After School Adventure (ASA)
Are you interested in…
- Carpentry, plumbing, electrical
- Vehicle maintenance, engine repair
- Painting, crafts
- Food service
- Groundskeeping, gardening, landscaping, lawn mowing
- Office, mailing, registration help
- Registration assistance (opening day, during the summer)
- Housekeeping and turn-around help
- Program help with kids’ programs (ASA)
- Would you be interested in serving as a host for a Firs Guest Group or our Adult Retreat?
If you’d like to volunteer in any way at The Firs, please send an email to us at The Firs.
“Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men, because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does, whether slave or free.”