May 20th, marked our 11th annual golf fundraiser where 52 golfers braved the wind and rain for over ten hours, in an all-out effort to keep the dynamic and growing ministries of The Firs (Retreat Center, Firwood, Fircreek, Chalet, ASA, etc…) in full swing. We’re so grateful for all 52 golfers whose hearts are committed to what we do here for kids and were willing to fundraise for our cause. We thank God for the $60K that was raised for His purposes. Take a look at this fine group of people!
Dear Firs Family and Friends,
Every group that we serve here at The Firs, we partner with, in a very real sense. They are getting away to camp for their retreat with some specific objectives in mind and we do our best while they are here to help them meet those objectives. In a sense, we remove distractions, take away as many “chores” as possible and provide for them a quiet, enjoyable environment.
One of our recent retreat leaders had this to say about their stay here: “Our focus this weekend was on prayer, and many people I talked to said the weekend was simply relaxing. Nothing felt rushed, just restful.” As our Guest Group Coordinator (Emilee) ironically said, “There is nothing very restful about hosting a group here as it is generally a matter of running around making sure all of their details are set.” Then she went on to say something very profound to our mission. She said, “I feel like we get to bear the burden of busyness and stress for our guests. Dare I say it is similar to Jesus taking our burdens and giving us lighter loads?”
I think Emilee hit the nail on the head. Camp retreats are about getting away to listen. They are about slowing down and paying attention. To the degree that we allow that to happen through our service we are truly partnering with groups so that people can hear from God. Before the year is out, we will have hosted nearly 150 groups at three of our sites. And, with each one we have the opportunity to clear the path for those conversations to take place.
Serving Him together,
- Praise the Lord that our registrations are coming in ahead of schedule and that we are on track to meet and to exceed our expectations. Our total so far is 4,000 campers at Firwood and Fircreek combined this summer.
- We have a critical need to get quality counselors lined up to serve at both Firwood & Fircreek this summer. This year has been the hardest year ever to recruit the kind of young leaders essential for us to carry out our program and purposes. Please pray that many will sign up over the next few weeks.
- Praise for a great Golf Marathon fundraiser on May 20th with 52 golfers participating and around $60,000 raised before expenses. We are thankful for the renewed momentum generated by this year’s event.
- We lost the tenant we had lined up to lease the Rutledge building on the south side of Cable St. This is an important part of our revenue for the year. Pray for a good and compatible organization to come forward needing space for their purposes.
- Pray for Brad, Courtney and Justyn as they wrap up their internship with us this summer. Pray that God will continue to lead in their lives.
- Pray for good success on some major projects up at the Chalet as they begin in June. Pray for safety for the workers as they work and as they travel up and down the mountain.
- Pray for the preparations being made for summer staff training at both Firwood and Fircreek. Training begins in the middle of June with camps starting the last week of the month.
- Pray for the speakers who are lined up to speak this summer at Fircreek (JAM Time) and Firwood (Centerstage). Pray that they would be sensitive to the message God wants them to give to the campers.
- A number of things out of our control have come along that will impact our operational expenses this year. Pray for sufficient revenue and sufficient donations to take care of these potential shortfalls.