Uncle Bob’s Wood Shop is an activity option for Fircreek campers during the summer, where they can have hands-on experience sawing and building things with wood. It’s such a great experience for the kids to dabble a little in a useful life skill. This has been a great, creative outlet for many kids, allowing them to build something that will last. The big news is that Uncle Bob’s Wood Shop got an upgrade this spring by Bruce and Barb VanderMeulen. The addition will allow for even more kids to develop some wood working skills this summer!
- Summer staff recruitment is first and foremost on our minds at this time of the year. Pray as schools are visited and students talked to that good candidates would show an interest to serve. Pray for quality returning staff to agree to serve another summer. Pray for creative ways to surface that will help get the word out to a broader range of prospects.
- Praise for the 12 teams (almost 48 golfers) agreeing to participate in our Golf Marathon next month! Pray that each team will be successful in raising $4,000 over the next several weeks.
- Praise for the good early registrations for both Firwood (933) and Fircreek (890). Pray for the projected total registrations for both camps. Firwood – 2,202 and Fircreek – 1,888 campers.
- Pray for the preparation going on in order to accomplish some major work inside the Chalet (bathroom renovation) in June. Pray especially for available time for both Doug and Bruce to be involved in this project at the beginning of the busy summer season.
- Praise and prayer for the eight guest groups that we are serving up at the Chalet between now and the time construction starts up there in June: Cornerstone Christian, Christ the King, Bethany Community, Northview Community, Christ Church and more.
- Pray for the Firs Board of Trustees under the leadership of Pastor Paul Anderson. Pray for the five new members who have come on in the past 13 months: Ed Feller, Linda Muench, Barbara Sanford, Ben Goodwin and Tony Young. Pray, especially, for the board as they deal with leadership transition at The Firs over the next couple of years.
- Pray for a sufficiently funded Campership Fund as we continue on through camp registration season. Pray for wisdom for those approving camperships and for enough funding to take care of the needs as we become aware of them.
- Pray for good health amongst The Firs staff and employees and for quick recovery of injuries.
Dear Firs Family and Friends,
I’m sure it is not a surprise to you when I say that not everything works out perfectly at camp during the summer. Not every summer staff member meets expectations. Not everyone stays healthy and not every camper responds positively to the message of Jesus. These things are true. But, so is this: Counselors will grow and mature significantly as the summer goes along and they will find that they can be used by God in ways they’ve never imagined. Speakers at Centerstage or JAM time will show up and what they have to say for the week will end up being just what was needed for that group of campers. Campers who come to camp with no interest whatsoever in hearing anything “religious,” will have a major perspective change as they experience the love of God from counselors and staff every day. And, wisdom and strength and patience and guidance will show up in abundance from God – just as it is needed. How do I know those things will be true? Because they happen every summer here at The Firs.
Want to know something else that is true? It is April and that means we are in the midst of recruiting and then preparing summer staff members for our team at Firwood and Fircreek. The search is on to find committed young leaders willing to give up their summer (and good paying job) for the sake of kids who need to encounter Jesus. And, it is about finding willing and qualified life guards and cooks and program planners and CIT leaders. At times, it seems like the whole thing is impossible! How do we find the right combination of skills and maturity and passion and experience? I don’t know – but God does. Please pray with me this month that just who is needed to serve this summer will show up and say “yes” to a life changing experience.
Serving Him together,