Darell & Stacy Smith were nominated to be featured on Jen Hatmakers For the Love Podcast to share all about we do here during the summertime! Hear their God story of how they were led here and are continuing to do a good work here in our community. http://jenhatmaker.com/episode-05-stacy-and-darell-smith
The Firs Retreat Center is looking for people to join out cooking team! The kitchen atmosphere at The Firs is a casual and up-beat environment, that serves up to 150 guests. You’ll work with a great team in a well-organized and equipped professional kitchen and will create and serve buffet and family-style, adult-oriented meals. Your experience in banquet, restaurant, or institutional cooking will be helpful, but our food service manager will train you to run the kitchen, in order to assist in food preparation with our team of prep-cooks. There are two positions available in our kitchen; both pay $16 per hour.
Full-Time Summer Assistant Cook: This position offers 30 to 40 hours a week throughout the summer.
Year-Round Part-Time Weekend Assistant Cook: This position works mainly weekends with 8 to 16 hours a weekend throughout most of the year.
To apply, please submit your resume and job application to Rebekah Quinn at email@example.com.
Dear Firs Family and Friends,
The weather is starting to feel like summer, the 4th of July has launched our camping season, and deep down inside you probably wish you could go out and be a camper all over again. Am I right? Well, that’s the feeling I have from time to time as I observe kids at camp. I’m reminded of the outpouring of enthusiasm and the excitement and the seemingly boundless energy that exists with kids at camp and part of me wants to experience that all over again. It brings a smile to my face to watch campers having fun.
Fun is sometimes an overlooked value in our world. We tend to see fun as a nice thing when in truth it is a necessary thing. I’m sure that you would agree with me when I say that there is a whole lot of un-fun out there and much of that un-fun is experienced by our campers. For many, positive relationships where love is communicated is not part of their normal home situation. A sense of belonging, while at camp, is in contrast to the isolation and even abandonment felt by some when not at camp. Smiles and laughter and the craziness of camp is a welcome relief to the stress and anxiety felt elsewhere.
Having fun at camp outdoors during the warm summer months is the perfect environment for kids to flourish and enjoy life. It is also a great time for them to hear from God. That’s why we do what we do.
Enjoy your summer and make sure you take the time for fun as well.
Serving Him together,
- We are still in need of Food Service personnel at the Retreat Center. In particular, we need someone who can work full time during the summer to be a Lead Cook to give Doug a break. Please be praying for the right person for that job and for Doug as he navigates through his first busy summer season.
- Pray for safety at both Firwood, Fircreek and the Retreat Center as we are in full swing with camps right now. Pray especially for safety around our two waterfronts.
- We have a tremendous opportunity to provide a camp experience for, often, more than 500 people a week (when you count those here as guest groups). Please pray that God’s work will be carried out in the lives of each who come to The Firs.
- Pray for our counselors, in particular, this summer. Pray that they will learn to set aside their own desires in exchange for serving and loving kids. Pray for the teaching times both formal and informal as Jesus is proclaimed.
- Each week at Firwood (Centerstage) and Fircreek (J.A.M. “Jesus and Me”) we have a speaker come and share Jesus with our campers. These speakers come from a variety of sources with many of them youth pastors at local churches. Please pray for them throughout the summer that God would greatly use them in the lives of our campers.
- Keep praying for a new tenant to utilize some of our facilities across Cable St. with the departure of the Discovery School this summer. We would love to have a non-profit Christian ministry be that tenant and are getting the word out as many ways as we can.
- Pray, too, for our efforts to take another one of our buildings across the street and get it licensed by the State so that we can utilize it, as well, with our ASA program. Pray for Stacy as she does the groundwork for this and as she looks at options for us to expand our program and our impact for Christ in this community.
- Achieving our budget for this year is going to be a real challenge for us with the loss of revenue from the school’s move off our campus and some other factors. Pray for good numbers this summer and fall and for God’s provision as we work at keeping costs down.
- Pray for our summer long search for a new Director of Camps and Retreats here. This person will be a part of our executive team with responsibilities over both Firwood and the Chalet. Our desire is to have someone in place early this fall.